This classical building, located right at the end of the Graben’s visual axis, was commissioned by Lower Austrian civil servant Franz Josef Haggenmüller zu Grienberg in 1798/99. The buildings “Zur goldenen Sonne”, first mentioned in 1445, and “Zum weißen Storchen”, first mentioned in 1441, were demolished to make way for it. At the beginning of the 19th century, the first floor of the building housed the “Allgemeine Anfrage- und Auskunfts-Comptoir” (General Enquiry and Information Office), which, for a fee, provided information “about all civic and societal business and circumstances that it is permitted to know”.

© Franz Brück